The Campus Engage National Network is led by the 7 Irish Universities and DIT. It has been set up to promote civic and community engagement as a core function of Higher Education on the island of Ireland, by better enabling Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), their staff and students across all disciplines, to engage with the needs of the communities they serve. This will be achieved through:
- Promoting innovative teaching and learning and other activities in the area of civic and community engagement
- Undertaking research to build an evidence base for the positive social impact of civic and community engagement activity
- Developing resources and offering capacity building training
- Building awareness of the role of HEI civic and community engagement with potential stakeholders and policy makers in third level education
- Facilitating the creation of opportunities for community-university partnerships
- Supporting campus-community volunteering opportunities
- Promoting debate to inform our national policy framework for civic and community engagement.
Campus Engage defines civic engagement as:
“A mutually beneficial knowledge-based collaboration between the higher education institution with the wider community, through community-campus partnerships including the activities of community based learning, community engaged research, volunteering, community/economic regeneration, capacity-building and access/widening participation”.
Why get involved?
Campus Engage has the potential to positively impact the socio-economic development of communities across Ireland and further afield; the teaching and learning experience of staff and students; and widen participation in higher education for all members of Irish society. Currently hundreds of organisations work with higher education institution staff locally on a large numbers of community-based research, community-based learning, volunteering and knowledge exchange activities. Campus Engage is very keen to ground the national Network initiative in the experiences and needs of the communities that institutions server, and invite you to contact us if you believe you can work with us into the future.