The CARA Adapted Physical Activity Centre Ltd is an Institute of Technology Initiative, which coordinates, facilitates and advocates for the inclusion of people with disabilities in sports, physical activities and physical education. It works at a strategic level to influence and support policies and programmes of agencies involved in the provision of sport, physical activity and physical education for people with disabilities.
This is achieved through the following:
- Providing information, advice and guidance on adapted physical activity and disability sport
- Increasing the number of opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in sport and physical activity
- Providing information and support to people with disabilities whose aim is to achieve their optimum level of performance
- Advocating for the inclusion of people with disabilities in sport, physical activity and physical education
- Supporting and influencing organisations involved in the provision of sport and physical activity to be more inclusive
- Developing and facilitating programmes to provide a range of training opportunities to professionals working within the sport, physical activity and physical education delivery systems
- Providing information on training courses being offered by key partners nationally
- Providing support, advice and information to enhance access for people with disabilities to participate
- Undertaking and coordinating research
- Providing information on events and programmes occurring throughout Ireland
- Assisting with the developments of both local and national sport and physical activity strategies to encourage the inclusion of people with disabilities in sport and physical activity
The CARA Centre runs a number of Community Sports Inclusion programmes which rely completely on staff and student voluntary input, in order to make them a success. Students undertaking the CLI and CSI module often work with the CARA Centre programmes.
The CARA Adapted Physical Activity Centre and the Institute of Technology Tralee works with:
- National Council for the Blind
- National Learning Network Tralee (Sporting Chance Programme)
- Irish Blind Sports hosted the fourth CampAbilities Ireland this year in Killarney Co Kerry.
For further details contact: Niamh Daffy Phone: 066 7145646 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information click here: www.caraapacentre.ie/