The Universal Design Grand Challenge is back!
Registration opens: 19th January 2017
Registration closes / judging commences: 28th March 2017
Awards ceremony: 25th May 2017 at Gibson Hotel, Dublin 1.
For updates and more information go to http://universaldesign.ie/Awards/Student-Awards/
This years UDGC will feature:
• Easy registration processing using online tool
• Universal Design for Commercialisation Award, supported by Enterprise Ireland - access to up to €15,000 of funding to commercialise the product or service
• 3 Judges Category Awards for the "Built Environment", "Products and Services" and "Information and Communication Technology".
• People's Choice Award - voted by attendees at the awards ceremony on 25th May
• Cash prizes and perpetual trophies for all awards winners
Did you know - the sky's the limit!
Last year's winner of the Universal Design for Commercialisation Award was successful in getting funding for a feasibility study from Enterprise Ireland. Read more about previous winners at: http://universaldesign.ie/Awards/Student-Awards/
What to do next:
1. Encourage your students in the final two years of study, post grads and recently gradated students to enter their best project in the Universal Design Grand Challenge. Tell them about the challenge by circulating this email or the competition poster.
2. Guide your students towards projects based on the 7 Principles of Universal Design. The competition is not purely aimed at solutions for people with disabilities or assistive technology. However initial focus on specific needs of an individual who may have a disability can be the catalyst to developing a solution, product or service that works for everyone.
3. Display a UDGC poster where students will see it - download a copy of our poster from http://universaldesign.ie//UniversalDesign/Awards/Student-Awards/UDGC-Student-Design-Awards-Post-2017.pdf or reply to this email with your name and address and we'll send you a printed poster advertising the UDGC.
4. Start teaching Universal Design today - email us and we'll send you teaching materials and other supports on teaching UD.
5. Go to http://universaldesign.ie/Awards/Student-Awards/ for information for educators and students.
More about the Universal Design Grand Challenge 2017
The Universal Design Grand Challenge aims to celebrate great student work and to encourage students to consider Universal Design in their projects. The Centre for Excellence in Universal Design is operating the UDGC as a way to promote Universal Design in education in Ireland. Students skilled in Universal Design will have an advantage in their future careers. Universal Design is being promoted at International, European and National levels to enhance innovation and create a more inclusive society. Universal Design prioritises all peoples’ needs in design.